Imperial College, London University - A Workshop on A New System for Rating the Head Protection Capability of Industrial Helmets - Friday 7 (O.S.)/20 September (N. S.) 2024/7533 mperial College Head Lab/Workshop V1 - Initial questions and comments from Adrian Whyatt to be answered please with more to come when we have time to receive, digest and follow up from a full recording and transcript of the event, with much appreciation

https://braininjuredpride.blogspot.com/2024/09/imperial-college-london-university.html

 My memory stick reference: 12/Volumes/AZUL CLARO/Imperial College Head Lab/Workshop V1 - Initial questions and comments from Adrian Whyatt to be answered please with more to come when we have time to receive, digest and follow up from a full recording and transcript of the event, with much appreciation.docx

Tweet on X about these comments, @adrianwhyatt: See: braininjuredpride.blogspot.com/2024/09/imperi

#Questions & #contributions #from #me including on raising #standards, #regulations & #trade #union #involvement plus revised program for conference "A #Workshop on A #New #System for #Rating the #Head #Protection #Capability of #Industrial #Helmets"

Facebook link. Includes posting of Tweet above: 

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fbraininjuredpride.blogspot.com%2F2024%2F09%2Fimperial-college-london-university.html&h=AT13uLe6Gn8hNTnl-SNc1jeagZmBCssX8_5-mt5uXO-XjWe2H9FR2VbX9-2qTnutju4Dlt9waQ3Sj8d4HxMUq1gdMwtijk3xvcFzAzr4HC08IaujIQxkQuZrdlwUyfqLVdDioM4qpDM3Fu8SBYcq3Kk&s=1


These questions relate to the conference below. I am posting them, having put a copy up on one of my Blogger blogs, via a round robin email which I am also repeating as an attachment. The compendium of this was posted, for the record, at 4.58pm, just before the advertised finish time of the conference. The wrap-up session appears to have finished around 4.35pm, rather than the scheduled 5pm (though I remained alone on Teams after this). This doesn´t seem to be the full wrap-up we surely need to have a full and informed discussion.


I have numbered the contributions which I made, that I remembered to copy to elsewhere, and which I posted as a final comment into the Teams chat.


My questions and comments, numbered, and as a final posting in the chat, as a round robin. I look forward to them being addressed, and perhaps to setting up follow up monitoring and developments. This would help to drive those things. In the spirit of positive innovation epitomised by Dyson and many of its products!


  1. How can I login from my Power Mac to Microsoft Teams Meeting ID 344206 25085 Passcode: mEG2e4


  1. I am stuck in a waiting room, waiting to be let in and have been for 17 minutes. Won´t let me progress further. How can I find the page to login via the codes? I´ve done a search and nothing comes up to actually let me do this.


  1. I have not joined from two devices. It is possible, that, whilst waiting, I have been logged in from one of my other multiple log attempts. So, what I will now try to do, is to log off every other window open. This screen suddenly appeared.


  1. I had indeed been logged in twice, whilst waiting via multiple attempts. I will now see whether there are further logins. We should then be starting very shortly. 



  1. I am having to use tinted  glasses to reduce the effects of this horrible white background. Should be on a universal design  gray background. Pictures but no sound!


  1. Very good that she´s presenting on a grey background. Great!


  1. Which helmet system is the best overall and which for different scenarios? Can you develop them for households too? And for tiny babies? I speak as someone who had a skull fracture and consequent TBI at 1 month old in 1965. I´ve been told I fell out of a weighing bowl, which had been placed on a kitchen table, onto a hard marble floor.


  1. It seems that there´s a need for new helmets which will withstand maximum impact speed. Stronger materials? Titanium and industrial diamonds? Multiple layers of foam and of metal on the helmet?


  1. As someone who has been involved in standards work since 2008, there´s a fundamental problem that British Standards work on a consensus basis. Not so, necessarily, regulations, which can be majority led and are ultimately a government decision. Standards, therefore, tend to be a product of something closer to the lowest common denominator, rather than actually following the principles of Safe Inclusive Design, including Universal Design, in practice. As someone with a History degree, well worth looking at past solutions to see what can also be adapted and fed into a contemporary mix. Likewise, Science Fiction has proven to be a rich seam for NASA...


  1. As stated when resolving log in problems beforehand, bright white backgrounds like this have been known to cause fatal epilepsy attacks, and that is one of the reasons why, going way back to the dawn of computers, and lasting until commercial interests which knew people would be more excited to buy things if you blinged them up with a more excitable sensory background, hijacked access standards by funding them, switching things to a white background, and conveniently excluding and continuing to sideline or marginalise neurodivergent people and others for whom this is a problem, through skewed, unrepresentative committees which don’t actually follow inclusive design (including universal design, especially augmentative default design principles within it). I found here in Portugal the only way to make things work, ultimately, when refused, was to successfully use anti-torture authorities, getting their support to overall the University of Coimbra´s failures to me as a student. Nothing like the threat of a prison sentence to motivate people! 

  1. Speaking as someone who was, not in construction, but in the civil service, amongst many other trade union positions, a Health and Safety Rep, it is essential that Trade Unions are fully represented on ALL committees, standards and so forth, to do with this. Employers tend to pursue profits, first of all, especially in the private sector. Unions pursue safety. Blacklisting has also been notorious in the construction sector. It´s especially important that the Labour Government pursues safer regulation rather than the deregulation of the Conservatives (and, largely, their Lib Dem coalition partners, under the guise of austerity). How are the unions being involved, therefore?


  1. According to the Guiness Book of World Records, probably a couple of decades or more ago now, the record height for someone known to have survived a fall, was a Yugoslav Airlines (JAT) air hostess who survived a fall from over 17,000 feet, landing in soft snow and breaking some bones on impact, but not injuring her head, as far as is known. JAT, like much of former Yugoslav assets based predominantly in the capital, Belgrade, which remains the capital of Serbia, has ended up being inherited by Serbia (still known as JAT). More details required, and please consult them, and their unions about this case.


  1. In many countries in Europe, including Sweden and Germany, partnership with trade unions is required, including representation on boards at all levels. So, they should be represented here. Where is the representation?


  1. Not just charities are required. It´s best to have a non-charity as the core organisation, with charitable offshoots. Because a non-charity can make a recommendation as to which way to vote. A charity can´t. How are you going to involve non-charitable organisations, including not for profits, and those involved in non-violent peaceful demonstrations, including non-violent direct action?


  1. Still trying to open on my mobile. Must be at least 10 minutes of waiting and spinning telling me to wait. Not a great performance from Teams. Much better to use free Facebook Messenger, perhaps, or to offer multiple alternatives (Zoom, Google-Meet, etc.) to log on. 


  1. Can we work towards terminal velocity-proof helmets?


  1. I can now confirm that, it would seem that there´s noone else left. A pity, because a wrap-up session from 4.30pm to 5pm was promised on the programme, and is really necessary for a full, overarching discussion. So, it´s important that this is fed back. A number of my questions appear to have been unanswered. I have saved my chats elsewhere. So, I will do a round robin email, a compendium of my chats, requesting answers and follow up. I had another meeting, 3-4pm on my mobile, via Zoom, here in Portugal, in Portuguese, which is a regular meeting of acquired brain injury survivors (we have a choice of which to attend, out of one hour slots, from 12 noon to 3-4pm on Fridays, hosted by the charity Novamente (meaning "again", or "another time" as in "starting over"), which charges membership of €60 a year (not so well funded here), unlike Silverlining Charity which is free, and from which I received the invite, and so there will be some things I missed at that time, but I did my best to attend both meetings.

 

  1. Were people from Germany and Sweden amongst those invited, likewise from China, given the presenters? I look forward to receiving a copy of the recordings. And answers to all my questions, including those posted before the 5pm scheduled finish! I may come up with more questions once I have received the full transcript.





 

 

A Workshop on

A New System for Rating the Head Protection Capability of Industrial Helmets

 

Venue

In-person: Library, 1st Floor, Dyson School of Design Engineering, Imperial College, SW7 2DB.

Online: a Teams link will be provided in due course.

 

Date: 20th September 2024.

 

Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a key safety concern in workplace. Industrial helmets (also known as hard hats) are designed to protect the brain against injuries caused by falling objects. This is mandated by current standards, which are decades old. Falls and trips are the main cause of TBI in the workplace, but current standards do not test helmets under conditions representing falls and trips.

 

With the growing number of new technologies entering the market, there is a need for an evidence-based system for rating the head protection performance of industrial helmets. Such a rating system should provide objective information to consumers to select helmets based on their safety and other considerations, such as cost.

 

The HEAD lab team at Imperial College has started developing a rating system for industrial helmets. We have developed test conditions representing falls and trips, and we have assessed the performance of a range of industrial helmets under these conditions. Our results show that this test method can distinguish between a range of hard hats with different designs.

 

We invite you to join a workshop attended by several stakeholders. The aim of this workshop is to: i) present the new test method and results, ii) discuss the implications for different stakeholders, iii) identify solutions to existing challenges, particularly access to high quality field data, and iv) determine the next steps.

 

12.00 – 13.00

Lunch

13.00 – 13.30

Invited Talk by Colin Morris, Headway: “Under the Hard Hat: attitudes, insights, and stories of survival”

13.30 – 14.00

Invited Talk by Sofia Hedenstierna, MIPS: “The Diversity of Accidents and Helmet Requirements in Industrial Workplaces”

14.00 – 14.30

Invited Talk by Xiancheng Yu and Rachel Tan, HEAD lab: “The new hard hat test method and results for a range of helmets”

14.30 – 15.00

Coffee Break

15.00 – 15.30

Discussion: “the value of the rating and its implications for stakeholders”

15.30 – 16.00

Discussion: “existing barriers to implementing the rating system”

16.00 – 16.30

Discussion: “how the rating can be sustained?”

16.30 – 17.00

Wrap up

 


Comentários